- Intelligent Software Engineering: Synergy between Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Software Engineering
- Software Testing
- WCTester (in collaboration with Tencent, Ltd.), an Android testing tool, has been deployed in daily operations for improving the quality of WeChat, a popular messenger app with over 900 million monthly active users (as of 2017 Quarter 2) [FSE'16 Industry, ICSE'17 SEIP, ESEC/FSE'17 Industry].
- Pex (in collaboration with Microsoft Research Redmond), an automated testing tool based on dynamic symbolic execution for .NET, has been shipped
as part of Visual Studio 2015/2017 Enterprise Edition as IntelliTest, since April 2015. Since Sept 2008, Pex (subsequently IntelliTest) has included my contributed Fitnex
path exploration technique and implementation, as
one of its key underlying concepts/technologies. Pex has had high download
counts in industry and academia, e.g., more than 30,000
during a 20-month period of Feb. 2008-Oct. 2009. [DSN 2009, ASE'14 Experience]
- Implementation of a test prioritization technique (resulted from our collaboration with Salesforce) has been in pilot use at Salesforce. [FSE'16 Industry]
- Rostra, a redundant-test detection technique, detected a high percentage (about 90%) of redundant tests among tests generated by Parasoft Jtest 4.5,
a popular award-winning commercial testing tool in industry. Parasoft
adopted the Rostra technique for improving Jtest’s later releases. [ASE'04]
- Symstra, a technique for efficient method-sequence generation in symbolic execution, was adapted and incorporated in NASA’s Java Pathfinder testing tool and Microsoft Research’s XRT testing tool. [TACAS'05]
- The new field of software analytics (established in collaboration with Microsoft Research Asia) has gained increasing popularity and importance in the research community. [MALETS
'11, IEEE Soft'13]
- Multiple high-impact systems of software analytics (in collaboration with Microsoft Research Asia) have been successfully deployed in daily operations of Microsoft product groups or shipped with Visual Studio, e.g., StackMine [ICSE'12, IEEE Soft'13], XIAO [ACSAC'12, ICSE'17 SEIP], SAS
[DSN'14, SRDS'12, ASE'13 Experience, ICSE'14 SEIP].
- CarStream (in collaboration with Beihang U. and CAR Inc.), a scalable, high-performance Internet-of-Vehicles (IoV)
system, has been deployed to offer chauffeured car services for over 30,000 vehicles at CAR Inc. [VLDB'17 Industry, TII'17, PerCom'18] .
- Mobile anlytics solutions (in collaboration with Peking U, U. Michigan, and Wandoujia Lab, a top Android App Store in China) have characterized diverse app-usage
patterns by learning the behavioral data from over 17 million users,
and optimizing development and release planning. [IMC'15, ICSE'16, TSE'17].
- Software Security
- WHYPER (in collaboration with NC State U.),
the first system of Natural Language Processing (NLP) for mobile app
security, has opened up the new field of text analytics for mobile
security. Google has awarded a Google
Faculty Research Award to
support the follow-up work of WHYPER, which inspired and influenced internal related efforts inside Google. [USENIX Security'13]
- ACPT (Access Control
Policy Tool) (in collaboration with NIST) is available as a
beta release. ACPT was covered by IEEE Intelligent System magazine, Industry Cortex, ScienceDaily, Center for Internet Security (CIS), etc. From its initial release in 2011 till May 2017, ACPT attracted 460
acquisitions from major industrial, academic, and government
organizations. and this number is continuously increasing. Example
early adopters of ACPT include NSA,
MITRE, DISA, NOAA, SAIC, DNI, Pacific Northwest National Lab, Fermi
Lab, BAE system, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Boeing, SMI, VA government,
John Hopkins University. InfoBeyond Technology LLC has developed Security Policy Tool
as a full deployable ACPT version with advanced functions and has
officially released Security Policy Tool since July 1, 2017. On October
14, 2017, InfoBeyond Technology was awarded the Innovative Security Solution Award for their demonstration of Security Policy Tool at the 2017 IEEE Big Data and SDN/NFV Summit. See the Mentionable Milestones of Security Policy Tool for our ACPT research's impact. [TSP'08, POLICY'10 Demo]
- Educational Software Engineering
- Code Hunt (in collaboration with Microsoft Research Redmond), an educational gaming platform, has already had close to 6 million
(5,981,893) users (including registered users playing on
www.codehunt.com, anonymous users and accounts that access
directly via the documented REST APIs) since its release in Spring 2014
till July 24 2017, for about three years. See the statistics of Code
Hunt services here (a snapshot cached on July 24, 2017). The 2015 Microsoft Imagine Cup included a Code Hunt Challenge. The 2014 Microsoft Beauty of Programming Contest used Code Hunt in early rounds. The game type in Code Hunt is Coding
Duel games invented by me. [ICSE'15 JSEET]
(in collaboration with Microsoft Research Redmond), an educational gaming platform as precusor of Code Hunt, had gained over 1 million
game-play interactions made by players around the world, since its release in Summer 2010 till Oct. 2012, for only
about two years. The game type in Pex4Fun is Coding
Duel games invented by me. [ICSE'13
- Diversity in Computing
- I serve as General Chair and Program Chair of 2018 and 2017 ACM
Richard Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing Conference (Tapia), respectively.
- I serve as a Faculty Advocate at Illinois for the FLIP (Diversifying Future Leadership in the Professoriate) Alliance,
an NSF INCLUDES demonstration project with the vision to increase
faculty diversity in computing at research universities by increasing
the diversity of PhD graduates from the top producers of computing
faculty. FLIP targets the following groups: African Americans,
Hispanics, Native Americans, and People with Disabilities.
- I have been mentoring formally and informally more than 100 minority students in the nation via MentorNet (the E-Mentoring Network for Diversity in Engineering and Science), social media, and diversity related venues.
- I serve as one of 7 mentors for the Illinois Academic Redshirt in Science and Engineering (ARISE) Program Sponsored by NSF
- I have supervised undergraduate research of 15 minority students during my Illinois faculty career and 17 minority students during my NC State faculty career.
- Community Recognitions
- I have been elevated to be an IEEE Fellow (class of 2018) "for contributions to software testing and analytics"
- Our collaborations with Microsoft Research being highlighted in
more previous highlights
interests (publications, Google
Software Engineering: Software
Analytics for SE, Code
Engineering for Mobile/Internet Computing, and Educational
Software Engineering, with
recent themes as
communities and resources
- Software Engineering Community:
- Advice Portal: Advice on Writing
Research Papers, Mapping
Out a Research Agenda, Research/advising Blog, ...
- Illinois ASE Group: Group News Blog,
ASE Research overview, ...
- Research/Education Resources:
by the HTML style by Alex Orso