- Our collaborations with Tencent, Inc. on improving automated test input generation for an Android app named WeChat, a popular messenger app with over 800 million monthly active users (as of 2016 Quarter 2). See our FSE 2016 Industry paper and our ICSE 2017 SEIP paper.
- Our collaborations with Beihang University and CAR Inc.
on a scalable, high-performance Internet-of-Vehicles (IoV)
system, offering chauffeured car services for over 30,000 vehicles. See
our TII 2017 article.
- Our collaborations with Peking University, University of Michigan, and Wandoujia Lab
(a top Android App Store in China), on characterizing diverse app-usage
patterns by learning the behavioral data from over 17 million users,
and optimizing development and release planning. See our TSE 2017 article, ICSE 2016 paper, and IMC 2015 paper.
- Our collaborations with Salesforce on a test prioritization apprach, whose implementation has been in pilot use at Salesforce. See our FSE 2016 Industry paper.
- Our collaborations with Microsoft Research being highlighted in
- Software Testing:
The contributed Fitnex
path exploration technique and implementation [DSN 2009] have been
part of Microsoft Research Pex
one of its key underlying concepts/technologies) since Sept.
collaborative work upon Pex has been published widely in top
software engineering venues. See this ASE 2014 Experience Report
on the high industry impact and experiences on successful technology
- Mobile App Security:
Recent work on developing Natural Language Processing (NLP) techniques
that analyze natural-language descriptions for a mobile app to assess
risk related to the permissions declared for the app. See the USENIX Security
2013 paper on Whyper. Various companies expressed strong
interest in the Whyper approach/tool, and Google has awarded a Google
Faculty Research Award to
support the follow-up work of Whyper. Stay
tuned for more updates!
Analytics: Recent and ongoing work on Software
Analytics with successful technology transfer in collaboration
Research Asia is being produced. See this IEEE
Software 2013 article and ASE
2013 Experience Report on the industry impact and experiences on
successful technology transfer. See the ICSE
2012 paper on StackMine, ICSE 2017 SEIP paper and ACSAC
2012 paper on XIAO,
DSN 2014 paper, SRDS
2012 short paper and ICSE
2014 SEIP paper on log mining along with MALETS
2011 position paper/presentation
slides and ICSE
2012 SEIP Mini-Tutorial.
- Educational Gamification:
The contributed concept of Coding
Duel games went into Pex for Fun
releases since Summer 2010 and Code Hunt
releases since Spring 2014 (both produced by Microsoft Research). See
SEE paper on Pex for Fun and this GAS 2013 paper
on the advocated field of educational software engineering; see the SBST 2014 paper
on Code Hunt.
- Since its release in Summer 2010 till Oct. 2012, for only
about two years, Pex for Fun has already had over 1 million
game-play interactions made by players around the world.
- 2015 Microsoft
Imagine Cup includes a Code Hunt
- Security Policies:
The jointly-developed NIST ACPT (Access Control
Policy Tool) is available as a
- As of Sept. 2012, ACPT had been downloaded more than 130
copies by industrial and government organizations including: NSA,
MITRE, DISA, NOAA, SAIC, DNI, Pacific Northwest National Lab, Fermi
Lab, BAE system, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Boeing, SMI, VA government,
John Hopkins University, and organizations from foreign countries (the
number of downloads is still growing every week).
more previous highlights
interests (publications, Google
Software Engineering: Software
Analytics for SE, Code
Engineering for Mobile/Internet Computing, and Educational
Software Engineering, with
recent themes as
communities and resources
- Software Engineering Community:
- Advice Portal: Advice on Writing
Research Papers, Mapping
Out a Research Agenda, Research/advising Blog, ...
- Illinois ASE Lab: Lab News Blog,
ASE Research overview, ...
- Research/Education Resources:
by the HTML style by Alex Orso